Goals for this course

I've grown up exposed to computers, phones, wifi, etc. and I understand how to use them, but I don't understand how they work. I can drive the car, but I don't know what's under the hood. Our lives are going to become increasingly more saturated with technology, so knowledge of the machine will prove useful.

I'm also interested in the history behind computers and the internet because technologies move at such a fast rate that old technology seems long forgotten. I was cleaning out my garage and I found a box with VHS tapes in it. When I was looking through the box my 8 year old nephew asked what they were and I had to explain to him that there was once a time before wifi. He looked at me as in astonishment and said "thats rough". Hopefully this class can open my eyes to the technologies before my time and I can share in my nephew's astonishment.

From the time we've spent in class so far I've determined that I'm terrified of technology and the path humanity is heading down. First Elon Musk warned everyone about the dangers of AI then turns around and plans to start putting chips in people's brains. Then the CEO of Uber invented his own religion centered around robot Jesus, and now Facebook engineered a robot that created its own language that humans can't understand. The list of insane technological "advancement" goes on and on and I for one am thoroughly convinced that humanity will give birth to its own robot overlords.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Email Ripped Off Snail Mail

Mr. Hanberg?